Paul Horvath, Principal
Paul Horvath is the Principal of PH Solicitor located in Melbourne. Paul commenced PH Solicitor in 2004 which has a focus on commercial and employment law, sports law and criminal law.
Paul has practised as a solicitor for more than 25 years. He holds Bachelor degrees from Melbourne’s Monash University in Law and Arts, and a Masters Degree in Law from the University of Melbourne.
Paul has extensive experience in the follow areas:
- Advises on restraint of trade (non-compete) clauses in employment contracts, and advise on breach of employment contract issues.
- Drafts employment contracts for employers, and represents employers responding to claims of wrongful or unfair dismissal.
- Represents employers and executives charged with breaches of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Advise on all aspects of employment law, including confidentiality, copyright and protection of ideas (intellectual property).
- Act for parties in litigation at all court levels.
- Preparing contracts of employment for senior executives through to process workers;
- Advising and representing parties in wrongful and unfair dismissal matters in Courts, the Fair Work Commission and Tribunals;
- Advising on and preparing restraint of trade (non-compete) clauses;
- Advising on bullying and harassment matters, including discrimination;
- Investigating workplace/employee issues and providing findings and advice based on procedural fairness and natural justice principles;
- Providing advice on the conduct of performance management and discipline counselling;
- Drafting policies on sexual harassment and delivering seminars on sexual harassment in order to seek to minimise or avoid vicarious liability by an employer for allegations of harassment;
- Advising on the legal requirements and processes appropriate in terminations and redundancies with a view to minimising the likelihood of wrongful or unfair dismissal claims, general protections claims etc.
- Occupational Health and Safety advice;
- Workcover advice as it relates to both termination of employment, and in particular claims of mental illness (whether psychological, psychiatric, or anxiety/depression etc.) and where the employee is no longer able to work in any role for that employer.
PAUL HORVATH PUBLICATIONS AND AWARDS
Paul has written papers on a range of issues including:
- Best Practice Governance in Sporting Leagues. Paul Horvath won the 2007 Paul Trisley Award (for the best academic paper on Sports Law) for this paper. The award was presented by the Australian and New Zealand Sports Law Association (ANZSLA);
- Winner ANZSLA Paul Trisley Award 2007;
- Collective Agreements, Restraint of Trade, Disciplinary Tribunal Systems (Runner up, ANZSLA Paul Trisley award, 2005);
- The WADA Code and Doping in Sport (paper published in the Monash University Law Review in August, 2007).
- Member, Law Institute of Victoria Member
- Chair, Law Institute of Victoria Sports Law Group
- Committee member, Law Institute of Victoria Employment Law Committee, Workplace Relations
To book an appointment or for more information call 03 96420435